Saturday, 24 April 2010

Spring is sprung, loads of sun

It was a lovely sunny day, temperatures reached 17 C on the forecast and as we are surrounded by trees it must have pushed that higher.

Time to take off the 2 large cloches covering the radishes, turnips, peas, spinach, onions and carrots. Hopefully the forecast is correct and no ground frosts forecast over the next couple of days so that they can properly hard off, I’ve been leaving the cloches open at night, so they are half-way there.  Not too many weeds, but hand weeded amongst the rows, put in the pea sticks (the plants are already 6 inches high) and then watered. Also managed to squeeze in a few pak choi plants next to the onions as there was a larger path than needed due to the cloches.

Herbs are so important, I really miss having the full selection available, so have collected a few different ones over our trips to the garden centres, now I need to prepare a herb bed. Started by getting the edging tool out (Dad is obsessed with crisp cut edges to gardens so he can mow easily, I can’t let anything grow over the edges or they get mowed off), then I started to clear out some more of the bed closest to the back door where Mum can get access to. It’s going to take more than one session, there are brambles and nettles (show’s it’s healthy soil) still to clear out. We’ve worked out where to move our rambling rose to, also going to put flowers and veg amongst the herbs and country garden, it’s amazing how watching Geoff Hamilton’s Ornamental Kitchen Garden always inspires me.

The greenhouse is beginning to show lots of life, I just wish I had more space with maximum light to bring everything on.  Think my cold frame needs moving too, it’s in full sun at the moment and I think it needs to go in a shaded area with good light to bring on strong plants.

Another day in the garden tomorrow. Now, where do I plant the shallots, veg garden or flower bed, think the flower bed may win!!

No comments: