Friday, 9 April 2010

A busy day in the greenhouse

It was a beautiful day today, by 7.15am I was in the greenhouse. I decided that it needed rearranging to fit in the pots and seedtrays to get all the seedlings growing.

As I moved some staging, I spotted some little seedlings in the floor, they were from my daughter’s cyclamen that had been kept in there last summer. After carefully potting some of them up, I was then able to finish moving the rest of the staging.

I bought some new seeds at the garden centre yesterday, so put some “Bright & Spicy” mixed salad leaves in both a large pot and hanging basket, I need to make sure grandma can easily pick lots of salad leaves.

The root trainers I bought 3 years ago are still going strong, I planted up 3 different varieties of climbing french beans, Organic “Cobra”, Purple podded “Blauhilde” and “Sultana” normal pencil green.

In modules, dwarf kale, perpetual spinach, green globe artichokes, nasturtiums (sacrificial to be planted with the broad beans), fennel and asparagus peas.

Small pot of self-blanching celery - “Lathom Galaxy”

I also pricked out 41 Webbs’ lettuce seedlings, they are one of the best lettuce varieties around and I haven’t successfully grown any for a couple of years due to either sowing too late, slugs, or the bad weather.

I’m testing out the new type of Brussel Sprout - “Petit Posy”, this is a rufflette variety, which tastes more like spring cabbage.

Runner beans are a mainstay in our garden, so I’ve planted up large pots of Desiree, Lady Di, Polestar and a dwarf variety.

We picked up some Basil and Coriander pots from the supermarket this week, I’ve just repotted these into bigger pots.

Hubby has finished cutting all the trees out and getting rid of the trunks, Grandad has taken charge of the bonfire and has had a brilliant time, it was brilliant seeing the whole family working together, to a common goal.

A very rewarding day, we’re all shattered, but feel so pleased with the results.

No comments: