Saturday, 5 June 2010

Ready, steady, barbecue

I’m very fortunate to have a husband who loves shopping for food, he has an excellent eye for bargains and knows his way around a store by the reduced bins.

Last night his bargain bag contained, a fresh ray wing and some smoked bass, now normally I’d cook these in the oven, but due to the heat today, out comes the gas barbecue and I’m in a dilemma, what to do with the fish, time to experiment methinks.

Ray wing in barbecue sauce

I made a barbecue sauce (thank you to my old school file).

1 small onion (finely chopped)
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
25g butter
1/2 tablespoon of vinegar
1/2 tablespoon of worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons of water
salt & pepper

Put all the ingredients in a small pan and simmer for 10 minutes.

On a sheet of foil, put 1/2 the barbecue sauce, then place the ray wing on top, finish with the rest of the sauce and the seal the fish in the foil parcel. Pop on the barbecue for 10 minutes.

Smoked buttered bass

Debone the bass, then place a knob of butter on a piece of foil, then the bass fillet then another knob of butter, seal the foil parcel. Pop on the barbecue for 10 minutes.

The results were brilliant, will definitely cook this way again.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You lucky thing, I wish my husband loved food shopping.