Saturday, 27 March 2010

A wonderful day for gardening

After waking at 5.30am, I decided to get up (well the clocks go forward anyway tonight so I’m already readjusting my internal clock ready for Monday). I watched some Teacher’s TV washed down with a hot cup of coffee.

Once the basics were done, the farm shop called it’s merry tune, we stocked up on meat for most of the week, now I need to plan the meals for the week ahead, a chance to try a new recipe or two.

Tuna and sweetcorn salad for lunch fired us up to work in the garden and greenhouse. It was a productive afternoon, I’ve moved one staging rack so that I can get more seed trays and pots in.

From the seeds planted last week, there are now pea shoots showing, Webbs lettuce, rocket and mizuna. The rocket and land cress are showing the odd white speck where a shoot will appear. The temperature in the greenhouse reached 30degC, it was gorgeous, I managed to move the bubble wrap to allow the air to circulate.

I’ve planted one strawberry plant in a pot in the greenhouse, to get some early berries. A large container of carrots and another of dwarf purple podded beans. I also planted some modules with 3 different types of beetroot, golden, red and white ringed and also normal red beetroot, plus a tray of kholrabi. This is a first for me, normally I plant them direct in the garden, but hope that this will give me a head start and allow me to intercrop better and increase the yield in the garden. The other strawberries are now in the garden, they are Mara Des Bois strawberries, which are a cross between wild strawberries and cultivated, so you get the flavour of wild with size of standard, they also produce over a long season, so hopefully we’ll get lots of strawberries over the summer. With the sun shining today, the vitamin D felt good soaking into the skin, a wonderful boost.

Time to sit back and watch a film with a lovely cup of tea.

No comments: