Friday, 26 March 2010

Getting ahead with the cooking and shopping

After a very busy day at work I needed to relax. The fridge was full of meat, some dates were getting short, so if I’m going to pop one dish in the oven, I might as well make it 2 and save on energy.

It was great, I started making a lancashire hotpot, then venison stifado. Whilst this was all in the oven, I made dinner, a paella but without any seafood just the chicken with chorizo.

Was I pleased I had done this, by Wednesday I was shattered and just needed to put the hotpot back in to the oven to bubble and brown. On Thursday after a very tough day at work, I reheated the stifado and served with chips and peas.

I finished work in time to collect daughter from school, she’s now broken up for Easter, we headed off to Sainsbury’s to stock up on salad, veg and also a few other treats to go with dinner.

Now a perfect evening lies ahead. The roast lamb is studded with garlic and is in the oven, it’s nearly time to make some dauphinoise potatoes, then I just need to steam some spinach, oh and make a starter with the wonderful prawns that seemed to jump into my shopping basket.  I’ve got the film Julie and Julia on, this was a present from hubby for Mother’s Day and I love it. I now want a great french cookbook, do I get the Julia Child’s book, or another french cookbook, then I can started working through the book as I get the time and widen my repertoire.

I think this weekend is going to be filled with gardening and cooking, lots of fresh air and wonderful aromas, totally lush.

No comments: