Bless them, Mum and Dad hadn’t realised how low their oil was for their heating, the red light started flashing 2 days ago, they have tried to book a delivery and been told 10-14 days. They’ve been and bought some electric oil filled radiators, but that’s going to be expensive.
Luckily they also have the option to have a real fire in the lounge, but Dad is beginning to feel his age and can collect logs and bits of firewood, but isn’t upto sawing or chopping the logs up if they are too big.
Let my darling hubby and daughter loose and 3 hours later we have managed to produce a huge stacked wood pile to hopefully keep them warm for 2-3 weeks. Dad was a sweetheart, he grabbed the chainsaw from the shed and was going to use it until I took it and said, “time for me to start using it, now teach me”, so I have been a brave Mum and with Dad’s direction have been happily sawing up a fallen tree into logs, feel really chuffed that I’ve done it.
I had bought a new saw and axe for hubby along with some wellies for his birthday and Christmas pressies, you can hear the tune “I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK” ringing out as he started singing it. Really happy family atmosphere, daughter started using the axe to chop the large logs into smaller chunks and was amazing. I was in charge of stacking it all under the woodstore in neat rows so that it will dry out and be easy for Dad to get at.
Well we are now ALL organised, team spirit is oozing, I’ve found muscles I forgot existed, we are all going to ache tomorrow. Who needs a gym, we have had a fantastic workout today that was far better for us, lots of fresh air, the odd snowflake too. We were amazed at the number of robins that were around us, they normally fight, but we’ve got about 6 that must have been from the same brood, they were scratching and picking up any bugs they could around the woodpile.
We’ve filled all the bird feeders, bless them, the birds are starving and they can’t get at the grubs in the soil, so we’ve put out a complete range of different types of bird food. There was a redwing in the garden yesterday, it was so pretty, a much more striking version of a thrush with pink on the chest (just under the wings), lots of blue tits, great tits, coal tits, long tailed tits, goldfinches, greenfinches, dunnocks, greater spotted woodpeckers, nuthatches, robins, blackbirds, doves, pigeons, thrushes, chaffinches, wren, oh, and the odd squirrel too.
Going to settle down for the evening with some muscle lubricant (can’t decide what to have in my glass tonight but it had better be strong and effective).
Oh how I wish for some snow, it seems to have been every but here (.5 inch isn’t much), daughter is praying that she can get snowed in and she is desperate for a white birthday on Tuesday.
Going to cook a paella style rice dish tonight with free range chicken from Littlemoors, some chorizo for flavour, red pepper and peas.
Time to relax and put my feet up.
1 comment:
Sounds like you've been a busy bee!
That's something i need to do, get some bird food.
Hope you have a relaxing night x
Post a Comment