Exciting New Project by Scrapdolly
Welcome to a whole new project
Thanks for this inspirational idea. With all the best intentions I would love to do this project, but knowing how my life falls to pieces in seconds, I'll do what I can.
10 weeks from 2nd July, so that's the whole of July and August, well for 5 weeks I will be on holiday from work, 3 in sunny (yes, that's debatable) Cornwall. The rest is tidying up from one academic year and planning the next one. It isn't easy being an FE lecturer, at least teachers at school know what they will be teaching before they leave in the summer, we have an idea, but it depends on recruitment, if we don't get the students we don't run the courses or number of groups.We have noticed that those students that have already applied, been interviewed and given places are the ones who are interested. Those that we see during the summer are "last minute wonders" and are either marched in by parents to get them on a full time course to keep them busy and out of their hair or keep the benefits they are currently getting. It's horrid, but some simply have a pulse and are breathing, no urge to achieve. I get them and as a personal tutor have to inspire them to get off their backsides and do something positive. It's draining but lovely when you get smashing comments at the end of their time with us. I've just said goodbye to a lovely student who I've taught for 3 years, he's so sweet, gave me a huge hug at the end of term and was chatting on MSN with me last night (yes I'm a really sad bunny).
I have a reputation in the college for taking disaffected students, and turning them round into high achievers.
Home life isn't good - our neighbour from hell is getting worse, we've now had 2 consecutive horror families in the last 4 years and we are losing patience, and stress levels are very high.
Instead of getting through it, DD dissolves into floods of tears whenever they start their rows swearing at each other. Last weekend we spent and unexpected 4 consecutive nights at my parents, coming home inbetween hoping to be able to sleep in our own beds.
Shame my DD isn't having the same support at school though that I give my students, she could easily become disaffected as one teacher told her on Friday "oh no, why did you choose my subject, have I GOT to teach you again next year, how could you" great inspiration for a 13 year old, then her form teacher (personal tutor) again gave her hell for choosing the subject too, not DDs fault that she has to choose this subject to go with her favourite, no parental checking first either. Am I supposed to write a letter every week saying life is hell at home or shouldn't once be enough asking for support by ALL the teachers during this difficult time. Trouble is this teacher is a firework display waiting to happen, my DD also is easy to spark into sobs, so her classmates know that if they wind the teacher up about her whilst she's at her extra drama lesson, DD will walk back into a highly charged situation and the class sit back and watch the display. This teacher has also lost DDs work twice now, blaming DD each time, what do you do?
Off for another day in paradise.
No comments:
Post a Comment